Canada Study Visa

Canada has always been the most preferred destination for higher education among the International students, by serving as an epitome of quality education and renowned highly ranked universities. It has one of the best curriculums with recognised degrees. Students studying longer than 6 months will require a study permit (Canada student visa), for students with 6 months or less than that it is not mandatory.

Why Study in CANADA?

  • The Qualifications obtained here are valued around the world.
  • Affordable education.
  • Easy to thrive being a multicultural society.
  • Healthy and safe communities to live with.
  • Possibility of stipend internships while studying.
  • Post study work visa is available, thus good job opportunities after completion of studies.
  • Possibility of getting Permanent Residency.

Intakes available in Canada

There are three major intakes namely: fall, summer and winter; which are in the month of September, January and May respectively. Intake is also there in the month of July and October, though it is limited for specific courses.

Applying for Canada Student Visa

  • Application for study visa can be made through Canada Citizenship (CIC) website
  • Canada student visa requirement includes acceptance letter from the university or institute where one wishes to pursue higher studies. For Quebec, one requires a study permit issued by the Quebec government.
  • The application can be filed from the nearest Visa Application centre (VAC) embassy, you might require a temporary residence permit and it is advised to book an ensure the residence permit before reaching the place.
  • One needs to submit documents like, passport copy, educational details and bank statements regarding which an acceptance code is generated.
  • On receipt of acceptance, which is valid for 60 days and one has to file the application on CIC website which follows by creating a profile which can be viewed later and upload necessary documents with payment via a Debit/ credit card
  • After the approval you shall receive a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction, for students from countries requiring an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) a temporary residence visa will be issued to them
  • The eTA shall be linked to your passport. It is thus important that while travelling carry the passports you have used to apply for your study permit. The eTA is valid for five years or unless your passport expires.
  • You are highly advised to carry proof of your finances and the letter of acceptance (and any other documents that you've been advised along with the passports) to take to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) after entering in Canada, who can then issue Canadian study permit and access into Canada.

Note: The visa office in your country will provide specific instructions for the documents you need to provide; this can vary according to your location. If required assistance, you can get help at your nearest visa application centre (VAC).

Requirements for Application of Study Visa

  • Applicants from Europe, the Middle East or Africa should provide biometrics (photograph and fingerprints).
  • Some applicants may also need to give a medical examination or police check before submitting their application. You will not be able to get a study permit if you have a criminal record – Thus a Police Clearance Certificate is mandated as proof.
  • You will need to prove that you have a valid passport which allows you to return to your country of origin after your course is complete, unless you belong to the US or St. Pierre and Miquelon, additionally two passport-sized pictures are also required, with your name and date of birth written on the back.
  • Results of standardized tests like TOEFL/GRE/GMAT/IELTS etc. qualifying criteria based on the requirements of the universities & colleges.
  • A Canadian student visa requires proof of funds to be around CA$10,000 (~US$7,650) for every year of your stay and CA$11,000/~US$8, 400 if applying to study in Quebec with your tuition fees. You need to also ensure that you have enough funds for transportation back home.

Work Permit for students

Students residing in Canada for studies are eligible to work part time on or off campus from day one.

Study permit Canada will automatically authorize the holder to work on/off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time (i.e. 40 hours per week).

In order to work one must match the following criteria:

  • Having a valid study permit
  • Must be 18 years old
  • The study permit holder should be pursuing an academic, vocational or professional training of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certification at a Designated Learning Institution.
  • The candidate should be enrolled as a full time student.
  • You shall also need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada in order to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.
  • Your study permit will be invalid after 90 days once you have completed your study, so you need to acquire a post-graduation work permit, valid for three years if you want to stay and work in Canada.
  • One must apply for a post study work permit within 180 days of receiving written confirmation, which are the final marksheets from their academic institution.

Sources of Finance

  • Self-funded Parents / Grand Parents
  • Fixed Deposits, Government Provident Fund or Public Provident Fund
  • Savings Account
  • Loans from approved banks for which the repayment commences up to one year after completion of graduation or 6 months after securing a job whichever is earlier. Also the tenure for repayment varies and may be up to 15 years.

Co-op & Internship Programmes:

Many of the programs have inbuilt internships of one or two semesters which provide an opportunity for the student to get first hand exposure and experience in Industry relating to his or her area of study.

  • Co-ops are for a semester or more and are mostly paid.
  • Internships are for a lesser time period i.e. 15 days to 30 days and may or may not be paid.

What is a Post Study Work Visa?

All international students who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution are eligible for a Post Study Work Visa to gain valuable Canadian work experience. To be eligible for a Post Study Work Visa, international students.

One has to no longer wait for their results you can apply for a visitor record in order to stay in Canada longer,


leave Canada and apply for PGWP (Post Graduation work permit)

If you are staying in Canada and the permit is expired then you must apply to restore your status as a student and apply for your PGWP. Thus, you might require to pay additional fees.

Your PGWP validation depends on the length of your study program.

If your program was for less than 8 months, you are not eligible for a PGWP.

If your program was more than 8 months but less than 2 years

We may give you a PGWP that’s valid for up to the same length as your study program. For example, if you completed a 9-month program, we may give you a work permit for up to 9 months.

If your program was 2 years or more

We may give you a PGWP that’s valid for 3 years.

  • If one opts for a course which is for less than 2 years, they may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit of equivalent duration as the course.
    • a. For instance Example: 1 year course = 1 year post-graduation work permit
  • If one opts for a 2 years course (masters or diploma), then they are eligible for a post-graduation work permit of 3 years
    • Example: 2 years masters/diploma course = 3 years post-graduation work permit

Cosmos's Contribution:

  • We help students who wish to apply for student permits in Canada and in processing the visa application.
  • Counselling and providing correct guidance for course and University selection
  • Assistance with the SOP, streamlined letter of recommendation, guidance for language proficiency tests, visa related all kinds of assistance.
  • We provide end-to end services from determining the country of your choice,
  • Submitting your applications, complying with the requirements, understanding the migration law in a specific country or region and what to do before you arrive in the country of destination and once you arrive as an immigrant.
From Saturday to Thursday (8.00 AM to 8.00 PM)

Have a Question? Ask our Expert

Call: +97143577796

Enter your information

Choose the Destination to migrate